Tuesday 3 September 2013

Big Balls & Beads

Today was a good post day :-)  My tote bag from Kelly Connor Designs arrived and I love it! It suits my smutty sense of humour to a T and makes me smile whenever I read it!  It arrived wrapped in pink tissue paper with a hand written message on the label. Check out her etsy shop for different styles and phrases, I love her stuff.


When I was in Napier for KAN I bought some beads for a BooKnits Mystery KAL due to start in October on Ravelry. Originally I was going to knit it with slate grey lace weight yarn but after I got home I was having second thoughts and decided to overdye the yarn. Of course, that meant that the beads didn't match! Luckily, St Beads kindly allowed me to exchange them and the new ones arrived today. The purple of the yarn is more plummy than the purple beads but once the beads are spread out throughout the lace knitting then they will look fine, and I don't mind a contrast.......why do all that work if the beads don't show, right?! The designer has suggested two colours of bead so I went its a haematite bead as my second colour. 



The smaller packet of beads are Miyuki triangle beads. I am knitting a beaded lace shawl as a gift and had run out. I wasn't able to get the same colour as the rest of the shawl but luckily I am on the border anyway so I will use this purple mix instead. I think it will be one of those serendipitous moments as there are some lovely coloured beads in that little packet.

I have spinning group tonight and I know the ladies will all get a good laugh out of my new bag. I'm not sure if I will take my wheel as it's raining and I don't fancy the hassle of getting it in and out of the car, I will see what it's like when I get ready to go. It seems a little weird to go to spinning group and not spin but quite a few of the ladies often knit instead. I'm not on supper duty tonight so I can kick back and relax :-)


4 comments:

  1. What a great knitting bag.
    Love all those deep rich colors you are working with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love my bag too :-) I am looking forward to knitting with the purple and the beads.

      Delete
  2. Hi, new follower here, popped over from Sezza's blog :-) I've signed up to do the Booknits MKAL too, just trying to find the right coloured beads for my cherry coloured yarn.

    Loved your stash photos in the previous post. I keep meaning to pull mine out again to flash but given it's already bursting out of the blanket box I keep it in I'm starting to think better of it :-S I should probably take a leaf out of your book and spend more time reducing the stash rather than adding to it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, finding beads isn't easy! You would expect that with the thousands of options out there it wouldn't be so agonising ;-) I was worried about my purple ones but when I threaded a few on my yarn this morning they are a perfect match and don't stand out as much as I thought they would, the haematite ones do though.
    It was a spur of the moment pledge but it had been sitting in the back of my mind for a while, I really have more than enough and the amount was starting to overwhelm me a little....each to their own but I am looking forward to the challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete