Wednesday 29 January 2014

Late to the party....

...but Happy New Year ;-) My blog has been a bit neglected recently but I'm back on track now and getting stuck in to some new plans and projects for the year. After all my gift knitting I am planning some knitting just for me this year and I also want to knit some items using new techniques that I haven't tried or that I need more practise with.

I have cast on a pair of toe up socks. Although I have used a similar cast on before for a different project, I've never knitted a pair of toe ups. I'm also a bit lazy where sock patterns are concerned and so far have mostly knit the Opal easy peasy sock pattern. I want to knit more patterned socks and also make some using stranded/fair isle knitting - a technique I haven't done for years and a good size project to practise on.



I have been spinning regularly too. I have quite a lot of work on and have been using spinning as a bit of a 'break' occasionally during the day. These are December and January's skeins, I am really happy with them and can see a big improvement over the past year.

Sweet Georgia Falkland, Navajo plied (3 plies)


Unknown rainbow fibre, 2 ply.


Fibre 2 Go merino, two different coloured braids, 2 ply.


And here is where they are residing in my craft cave, I love having them on show ;-)


One of the projects I have planned for the year is a 'Year in temperatures' scarf. So far I have 10 colours chosen and the idea is that you knit two rows in the colour assigned to that particular temperature for the day. Some people have used the daily high and low temps and one that I love uses double knitting in two colours with a couple of horizontal stripes. One side uses the high temp colour and the other side the low. The stripes on each side show the opposite colour. Anyway......planning to start in June so my darker colours are at the beginning and end of the scarf (winter colours). 


I also have a few WIP's to finish this month as well as the Ysolda Teague mystery to keep up with (I'm knitting two) and working on some travelling socks as part of a group swap. Oops, almost forgot the mystery sock I have signed up for in February too! I'm going to be busy!!


We had a lovely day out at the Turakina Highland Games last weekend, I placed an ad in the programme and have had a couple of enquiries already so that's good. 


My labels have arrived and I am very pleased with them. I ordered them on etsy and was a little nervous but they are fine.


Head over to my Kilt'd Facebook page if you are interested in any more Highland games photos. If you want to like my page while you are there that would be great too ;-)

I'm off to get ready for the day and do some work.....I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely socks, really nice yarn colourway. I'm doing the mystery kal too although still need to decide which yarn I'm going to use :-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's a Misti Alpaca...Bird in Paradise I think (details on Ravelry). I am loving the thin stripes from the short colour repeats and am pleasantly surprised that the pattern shows up with such a variegated yarn.

      I have a skein of Vintage Purls sock yarn to use, I started a shawl with it but frogged it so I will use that. My first mystery socks!

      Delete